Lawyers’ Trust Accounts Board Helping to Secure Equal Access to Justice
Open an IOLTA Account
Opening an IOLTA Account is a Simple Process
- Download and print the Enrollment Form.
- Take the Enrollment Form to an Approved Financial Institution and complete it with the bank manager.
- Fax the completed Enrollment Form to the IOLTA Board at 717-238-2003.
There are more than 200 banks approved to offer attorney trust accounts in Pennsylvania. Where you bank is extremely important to the IOLTA Board’s mission. Platinum Leader Banks have committed to pay premium interest rates on IOLTA Accounts. This means more funding for legal aid. The IOLTA Board encourages attorneys to patronize them.
Tips for Opening an IOLTA Account Successfully
- IOLTA Accounts are specialized bank products. Make an appointment with the bank manager to establish your IOLTA Account.
- IOLTA’s Federal Tax ID number should be associated with the account’s earned interest, not the principal balance.
- The mailing address on the IOLTA Account should be that of the firm, not IOLTA’s mailing address.
- Be sure to fax the completed Enrollment Form to the IOLTA office.
- If the bank you have selected is not a Platinum Leader Bank, ask the manager to consider upgrading to Platinum Leader Bank status.